Search This Blog

Friday, September 10, 2010

Proud of my cousins work in Cambodia

I just received the latest update from my cousin about all the work she is doing in Cambodia. I have listed the link below for anyone that might be interested.

http://abc-rice.com/

When she first left to go to Cambodia I thought girl I know you are flaky and do crazy things but how are we as a family going to come rescue you half a world away. This was my constant thoughts as it became clear she was not coming home soon.

Then she shocked me and probably most of my family by actually pulling off her dream of starting a school and helping the orphans. She got herself a small job so she could stay in Cambodia then she got the paperwork filed to become a proper charity so people can donate to the school.

You have to understand this girl had a habit of deciding to do things at the last moment and not think about the follow through or consequences of her crazy but fun choices. She has slept on my couch when she decided on the spur of the moment to live in Toronto so you can understand why I was worried. Well I am now one of her biggest supportors and so proud of her. I have never seen her look so calm and at peace. She has always searched for her place in this world and she has finally found it.

When I read all the sacrifices she has had to make. I see the pictures of the mattress she sleeps on. It amazes me and makes me stop and think about if I could make such sacrifices and truthfully there is no way I could commit to such hard work, little pay and horrible living conditions. As my cousin reminds me she gets paid in hugs, kisses and praise. She says that is all she needs to live on.

Again I must say how proud I am of her. I miss her like crazy but thank goodness we have facebook and e-mail to keep in touch

1 comment:

  1. She is an inspiration, truly. I consider myself lucky to know her.

    ReplyDelete