Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First day of school

I think I am one of the very few parents that does not get excited about the first day of school and does not take the day off of work. For me back to school means the start of routine and homework both things that I am not a fan of.

My youngest is in SK, so last year I understood dropping him off since it was his first year of school but today I dropped him at daycare and they took him to school. As I was reading facebook this morning I was shocked that almost all of my friends took the day off work to drop and pick up their kids from school.

I was actually starting to wonder if I was like the worst parent in the world for not taking the day off but then I picked up Ethan from daycare and he told me all about his day and how proud he was to be big enough to go to school without me. This made my day and I don't feel like the worst mother in the world.

I think it is great for all the parents that are able to have today off and have a great first day of school tradition but for me I have had a lot of time off this summer to hang out with Ethan and make memories and that is what I would rather use my vacation time for. I get the bare minimum at my work so I treasure the days I do get off.

Sorry if this is sounding more like a rant then a blog but I am way past my bedtime and so desperatley wanted to blog tonight since I have missed the last few.

2 comments:

  1. Too many parents get caught in the "am I as good a parent as so-and-so" trap, in my opinion. If it works for you & Ethan than it's perfect, and you're doing it just right.

    PS - I didn't take the day off, just went in a little bit late. You see, I never get to take him to school, and that is important to him, so this one day, I do it. But that's us! :)

    PPS - this was a really good post. Must be the strong emotion that you felt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice and compliment. I am hoping next year to go in late so I can take him to grade 1 but we will see

    ReplyDelete