Search This Blog

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Loss of a great man

This week the call came that we have been waiting years for. My dad's best friend had passed away. Yes he had a wild life and drank too much so we knew his time was up but everytime we had been told this he pulled a rabbit from the hat but not this time.

I thought when I got the call it would be from my dad but nope I got the call to let me know that I had to call and break the news to my dad. How do I tell my dad that his best friend of more then 40 years is gone and we have a viewing to attend.

Then I thought well it won't be so hard his friend Doug had been in a nursing home so the late calls were a thing of the distant past, getting together for a few drinks was also a thing of the past. So with these thoughts I made the call. That was on Monday and he put on a brave front then last night I called to give him the details of the viewing and arrange who was driving and it hit my dad that this time Doug really ran out of time. My dad's response to why we had to go to Uxbridge on Saturday was that we should check the local bars first just in case it was a misprint.

I don't know what is worse the loss of this great man or the heartbreak my dad's going through. Most of my childhood memories include Doug or his family. Yes I've been neglegent in keeping in touch but there was supposed to be time to go visit and reconnect. Saturday will be hard to say goodbye and watch my dad say his goodbyes.

Doug was a sturdy man, always had a joke and a hug for everyone. He worked hard, played hard and drank hard. As a child I never noticed the drinking just was in awe at how much fun he was. Skidooing, sledding in the winter. Bonfires and roasting marshmellows in the summer.

I will go and say my goodbyes but not put away memories and hopefully as time passes the memories will come and I can write them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment