Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Open Door Policy

I have always had an open door policy in my home for my friends,family and my kids friends. To me this was just a natural thing to do. The other day my neighbour asked how I can handle the chaos of never knowing how many people will be in my home. I had never that about it that way.

I have been pondering this question all week and tonight I realized that my open door policy is one of my gifts from God. I am blessed with this gift and the ability to willingly use this gift. I know who my kids friends are which says a lot since the older boys are 19 and 20. I am able to relate to their friends because I do have my own friends who are their age.

With this policy I have had many friends that were just there for a season because they needed help during a rough time but I have also made many lifetime friends from this policy because they know they always have a place to turn to during the good and bad.

I have celebrated, cried, danced, laughed and made more memories this way then most people will ever have the opportunity to. As my girlfriend says I am the keeper of lost souls. I am so glad that the lord gave me this gift and that I have been able to use it to the best of my ability.

When a soul shows up at my door with bags packed because life at home is just unbearable at that moment my heart breaks for them and then swells with comfort that no phone call required they just come. I have had family, friends, my friends children and even some people I barely knew use this policy and each of them says thank you for making me never have to ask to come but just being able to show up.

The other night I met a women for the first time and I had been too tired to clean or even pull together a half decent meal but she said to me that this was the best place she had been in awhile. I had to ask what she meant and her reply filled my heart. She said that instead of worrying about my house or the meal I had worried more about getting to know her and spend time visiting.

We all need to remember to make time for the people in our lives not just the stuff or our to do lists. We never know what that person needs but maybe just sitting and listening is the best gift we can give

1 comment:

  1. Great post, my friend. Yes, you do have a gift for collecting people. There are a lot of people thanking God for you. :)

    ReplyDelete